Texans for Advancement of Medical Research (TAMR) is an organization of scientists, physicians, ethicists, leading health groups, and individuals who support biomedical research in Regenerative Medicine for the express purpose of curing diseases and alleviating suffering.
To preserve biomedical research in Regenerative Medicine in the State of Texas by:
- Raising public awareness and understanding of biomedical research benefits.
- Educating elected officials representing the state of Texas.
- Advocating on behalf of the collective stakeholders.
TAMR supports legislation that regulates research in regenerative medicine, a new field of medicine focusing on all types of stem cells to cure degenerative diseases and conditions. TAMR strongly opposes human reproductive cloning, which is unsafe and unethical.
Hundreds of thousands of Texans suffering from incurable, degenerative diseases and conditions, including diabetes (both juvenile, type 1, and adult onset, type 2), Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, heart disease, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS – Lou Gehrig’s disease), blindness, multiple sclerosis, sickle cell anemia, strokes, muscular dystrophies, and others.
- Families that are impacted emotionally, physically, and economically by these incurable diseases.
- Biomedical research scientists from university research centers and other research organizations who seek treatments and cures for incurable, degenerative diseases and conditions.
- Biotech companies that take basic research from bench-to-bedside.
- Physicians and pharmaceutical companies whose goals are to provide patients with cutting edge treatments for the best possible outcomes.
- Taxpayers in the State of Texas, who bear the economic burden of medical costs, lost productivity, and disability support for those who are affected and impaired by degenerative incurable diseases and conditions.
- Health advocacy groups whose volunteers and staff work tirelessly with the expectation that research in Regenerative Medicine will provide cures to end their constituents suffering.
- Elected officials who are confronted with tough decisions while balancing the health and welfare of Texans against budgetary constraints.